Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Inner Tears - A Free Verse Poem

Blinded.
That’s what we are sometimes.
Frozen statues gazing coldly down on the already frost-bitten world.
Never seeing,
Never listening,
Never caring.
Our eyes, our ears, and our hearts were designed by God above for a reason.
Not so we can dwell in rapturous ignorance of the tears and wounds and cries of our neighbors.
I don't think Christ would be proud.
Strangers elbow their way past pavement cracks.
Hectic moms and weary workers jolt elbows among the crammed-full grocery aisles.
Actually, cars wedged in traffic contain real people.
Real people.
People with dreams and heartaches and souls.
People designated for a living Hell.
A Hell with eternal pain, eternal agony, eternal torment.
And faces parade before my eyes.
Cloroxed canvas masking broken lives and genuine hearty laughter and soul conversing with soul and eyes that pierce and intensify my every fiber and how one smile can so satisfyingly intertwine two separate identities, knowing that their souls are embedded into mine and how can warmness and acceptance and love all exist in two spherical orbs and I cannot breathe.
I whimper and attempt to cover my eyes like an elfin child and my heart cracks inside.
It has abruptly been awakened.
Awakened by this scene of destruction and devastation, and I cannot visualize any human being with a soul enduring such a soul-wrenching anguish for eternity before tears embark and I feel so overwhelmingly criminal and I can no longer endure the screams inside my head erupting from people I clench so resolutely within me.
And who am I?
Who am I that I have brutally passed them by before without caring, without my heart probing for their every need because we all require help in this forsaken world, and who am I to deny them any help that I could possibly give?
Jesus Christ revealed the way to me.
He opened my eyes, and who am I to perversely turn my head from noticing the blindness of the world around me?
And who am I to fail to offer this gift of eternal water to gasping, parched throats?
May it never be.
And God, I am so sorry for never seeing, never listening, never caring enough to truly know people.
To love them as much as You love them.
And who am I to deny them this luxurious gift of eternal life with You?
Forgive me if someone ever stumbled over my stone-cold heart.
Forgive me for never seeing, never listening, never noticing.
Revive my heart.
God, will You please give me strength?
Will You please help me reach them?
Will You please help me fracture their prison bars and unveil their eyes and shatter the darkness surrounding their life, so they can finally see You in all Your glory?
Oh God, give me strength.
I remember the future of those I love. Of those I clench deep within me, my fingernails digging into another’s skin and flesh and heart because I can hardly let go but I need to shield these beloveds from this darkness within themselves but their eyes remain masked and they cannot see the Way and oh good Lord reigning in heaven above, will You please just look down on this mess of spinning earth? God, how can I help them see? I cannot even bear to see them suffer on earth, and this eternal darkness causes my knees to cave in.
I am overwhelmingly weak.
I cannot determine their future.
Their hearts and minds and very souls remain corrupted with the dirt of this world, and all that I do cannot alter that fact.
But You can.
Oh God, have mercy.
I can only accomplish so much.
But help me do what I can.
Give me Your eyes that I may see people as You see them.
Give me Your ears that I may better hear the cries from every heart.
Give me Your heart that I may love people as You love them.
With a never-ending, never-dying, never-failing love.
Oh Lord, strengthen the work of my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment