Monday, September 9, 2013

I Don't Support Christian Pessimism

That's a pretty harsh, in your face kind of statement. But it's true. Sure, there are people more easily swayed towards pessimism, those like me, always vigilant and attentive towards that one particular gray cloud in the sky. But just like homosexuality or theft or immorality, God never permits us to yield to inner desires contrary to His will. Pessimism is a choice to sin, and God calls every Christian to throw off discontentment in order to give thanks.

So no, I don't think Christian pessimists should exist. Unfortunately, Christians are also sinners, and sinners like me often fail. For example, the brainchild of pessimism. Complainers.

I'm living evidence of a complainer. Bawling my head off about the rain or the president or other people. This one kid who said this. . .Hey, this stupid website doesn't work. . .There's only leftovers for lunch! That's pessimism for you. People always have good qualities. Opportunities to learn patience are gifts from the Lord. And we should never take food for granted. Although I may disagree with others or fail to appreciate certain decisions, like with President Obama, that's not an excuse for me to grumble. 

When I specifically focus on the problems in life, instead of the many blessings straight from heaven above; when all are problems and problems are all, how can I refrain that voice of mine from trumpeting up to heaven above, voicing my complaints, so all can sympathize and know how absolute miserable I am? It's impossible not to when everything around me has so many visible holes and cracks. 

Not only does the Bible instruct us to focus on what is good and acceptable and perfect and to give thanks in all circumstances, but it also condemns complaining.

Great. Broken three rules with one stone. Guilty. 

Have you ever been asked, "If you had to choose, what food would you pick to eat for the rest of your life?" ? And to be honest, I never know. Because no matter how much I thoroughly love something, like bread pudding or sushi or carne asada for example, I could never eat it straight 3 meals a day for a week. Never ever. You'd hear me complaining at the end of the second day. Or maybe the first, who knows. At this point, I always remember the Israelites in the Bible. They ate manna for 40 long years while wandering in the desert, for goodness sake! If that had been me, I would have been grumbling before and after every meal. If not externally, then internally. I can surely sympathize. Yet, God never let them off or condoned them. Instead He rebuked His people and disciplined them for their ingratitude.

You see, God doesn't encourage pessimists. Pessimists are people who willingly choose to focus on the bad, who search for the blemishes and blots in every aspect of their life. It's a choice. Our Creator commands us specifically to forsake complaints and give thanks in all circumstances. He commands us to see the good in life.

Why though? Why would we willingly seek and run after the little stains? If you really take time to think about it, why would anyone readily choose to direct their attention through the sunshine and thrillingly lightning bolts and majestic thunder to the gloomy corners full of spiders and mice droppings? If I arrived at one of the most expensive banquets on earth, complete with escargot and eclairs and eel and all that fancy stuff that start with e's, and chose to focus on the one little tear on the edge of my linen napkin, chose to complain to the manager and ask for my money back, wouldn't you find me ridiculous? 

That's exactly how Adam and Eve fell from paradise. Because of discontentment. Desiring more than what they already grasped in their hands. They lived in paradise, without sin or death or evil. They had each other and an incredibly personal relationship with the Father, to the point of daily walks beside Him in the garden. And yet, when Satan held out that fruit, tempting them with the lie that they could become like God Himself, they caved. They grabbed that fruit of discontentment and rejection and covetousness and ate, the juice of rebellion dripping down their very chins. And so their world drastically changed, bringing with it dark red pain and seared black sin. And that fruit lives on in us today, in the very blood that courses through our veins. Pessimism channeling through us.

Then how can I say that we are not made pessimists? 

Because we have been remade. The old has gone, the new has come. We are no longer our old selves, slaves to sin and greed and lust and the addiction of wanting more. True, our sin nature still battles within, but the blood in us is Christ's. Our thirst and the hole within has been filled. We have His life and strength and grace flowing through us, providing healing and mercy for our everyday lives. He shed His blood, so His righteousness would live on in our arteries. When God on high looks down on us sinners here on earth, He sees Christ's purity soaking into our every atom and is satisfied. And not only was Christ pure and empowers us to be pure, but He gave thanks. He broke bread and glorified His Heavenly Father. And He commands us and enables us to do the same. His blood flows through us, reviving us, equipping us to live in eucharisteo. 

If Christ, who is the manifestation of everything good, could find God's goodness in this desolate world to give thanks for, can't we? 

And I look around, counting on my fingers the blessings in this very room. The seeable. The unseeable. 

Make me thankful, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment