Friday, July 1, 2016

Day 1: I'M IN MANLA

Dear friends and family,

I cannot describe the emotions I felt when I looked out of the window from my plane and I could see Manila with its maroon-ish cloud of smog and pollution hovering above, the tin roofs glistening up at me, the turquoise and salmon colored houses/shacks, the rivers interlacing the city, and the abundance of traffic and cars and jeepneys and people. I don't think I stopped smiling from then on until my plane landed to be perfectly honest. I am so so happy to be here!

I love it here, and while visiting Manila for the first time two years ago was exciting and wonderful, getting to come back here really is even better. Everything is familiar in a way, but exhilaratingly new and fresh and ready for me to explore and fall in love with all over again. The Philippines is such a warm, friendly, inviting country, and everyone here is so full of smiles and laughter. Even the men at customs were kind and warm and friendly, and wow, I just keep discovering more new things to love about this city. From the decorative jeepneys to the cutest kids at the side of the road, this country just blows my mind.

My flights were super uneventful, and I was able to find everything okay! One thing that really jumped out at me was one moment during my flight to Manila. The gentleman next to me had just woken me up for the complimentary lunch, and I was still kind of groggy and half-asleep. Then I looked out the window and I saw the most perfect, vivid, intense rainbow I had ever seen. I wish I'm able to upload pictures, otherwise I would, but what a reminder and what an encouragement! To know that God is faithful and that He will be with me, each step of the way. I'm pretty positive that it wasn't a coincidence, but that the Lord sent it to encourage me and give me peace, and I know I'll remember it throughout this trip.

But other than that, I spent a lovely 4-5 hours in.traffic traveling about 18 miles, but  I really enjoyed getting to fellowship with the Nichols family and friends! You will not believe the incredible view I have here from their house and their hospitality is a blessing. I'm surprisingly not tired at all, which is probably because I'm so excited and thrilled to be here and I want to absorb everything around me and take in all the sights and smells and sounds that I've missed.

Tomorrow I'm waking up before 6am for the feeding at Tondo, one of the largest slums in Manila and in the world, I believe. Keep me and the Nichols family in your prayers, as well as the children who will receive food and Pastor Ramilo, who leads the feeding program in Tondo.

Again, if you can't tell already, I am so so so excited to be here. I love this country more and more, and it is such a huge blessing and a privilege to be able to come back here.

Much love,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    Awesome to hear that you arrive safe and so excited. It's so great to hear your love and excitement for the Philippines and its people. Can't wait to read your daily blog. Hope you get to enjoy the city and its food, people and culture more this time. Stay cool and hydrated!
    Praying for you.
    Auntie Cristina

    ReplyDelete