Sunday, July 17, 2016

I'M HOME: An Informal Trip Report/Overview

Dear friends and family,

It's hard to condense the last two weeks into words because to me, there are dozens of memories and moments and events and words said and the most adorable faces and the sweetest smiles that it's hard to sort through them all and pick the ones that stand out the most. I'm also running on less than four hours of sleep, so I apologize if I'm slightly incoherent.

I think one of the most impactful things I've seen in Manila is the rampant poverty. One day driving to Redemptio, we passed by a field completely covered with plastic bags. Men and women were sorting through and cleaning these used trash bags, only to sell them for 8 pesos (5 cents) per kilo. While driving through the streets of Manila, we often passed by street kids and teens who sleep under bridges and roam the streets. Police officers will sometimes kill these kids who have absolutely nothing in the world in an attempt to stop crime and homelessness. Outside the SMs or malls, there were kids outside, maybe eight or nine years old, who held out their grubby hands for a few pesos.

The day we visited Tondo and Smokey Mountain, I also saw people who have absolutely nothing, who live among literal heaps of trash and walk among dirt intermingled with broken glass. Many of these kids don't even have clothes, and most of them don't know what it's like to live with electricity, running water, or to have a meal a day.

Yet while the poverty in Manila is shocking and heartbreaking and difficult to digest, it's also humbling. These people are still so joyful and happy, and they smile in the midst of their hardship. All too often I find myself complaining or grumbling or even just feeling down and depressed, but it's a humbling reminder that contentment and joy can rise above circumstances. Joy is a choice and a lifestyle, and seeing poverty and how people deal with poverty really made me think.


One child that really is memorable to me is Princess. I was blessed to be able to stay at the Home of Joy orphanage for two nights in Cavite, and during that time, I really connected with a little girl who was there. She's about three years old, and while I can't post straight-on photos of her on social media, here's a photo of her from the back.

She really is one of the cutest little toddlers I have ever met. When we first got there, she didn't interact with us much, and she was pretty independent and capable of playing and coloring by herself and she didn't smile a lot. But the second day, she really started to warm up to me and would start to ask to be held or even just climb into my lap, and it became easier and easier to make her laugh.

On the plane ride back, her face kept popping into my mind, and I still wonder when Princess will be adopted and if the family who adopts her will be Christian and will teach her about her Heavenly Father. It's hard to leave the kids not knowing what their future will look like, but I know I have a God who has the best plan for Princess and who loves her even more than I do. I know she won't remember me when she grows up, but I also know I'll never forget her.

During my stay I was so blessed to stay with the Nichols family and to learn from them about what missions looks like. To me, what really struck me was that on one hand, being a missionary can be pretty "normal" in a sense that the Nichols' home is large and comfortable and we were able to go to the movies, get our nails done, have breakfast and meals with friends, and grab food in the SMs. Being a missionary doesn't necessarily mean living in a hut and giving up all types of Western comfort, though it can.

But on the other hand, there was plenty of "abnormal" mixed with all the "normal." The routine there consists of dealing with heavy traffic, bugs, and interacting with those from a different culture who approach tasks differently. The Nichols also serve in Redemptio and so going to Floodway, working with the kids in their school, seeing and dealing with the poverty around them, and helping the squatter community is considered a regular part of their week.

I guess seeing how missions works today surprised me a little because when I was little, I heard stories of Amy Carmichael or Hudson Taylor who converted many people and rescued many orphans and translated the Bible and things like that. There are still missionaries who serve the Lord in that way, I'm sure, but I learned that sometimes missions doesn't look like that. Maybe it's just working in one ministry in one area like Floodway and loving all the kids there and building relationships with the community and assisting the local church and being a light and a witness by word and deed.

I loved Redemptio, and that was one of my favorite ministries I visited. While I was there, I was able to use some of the funds I received to buy each kid a Happy Meal for their merienda during each prek and kinder class, and the kids LOVED it. Some of them had never had McDonalds before, and it was so neat to see their smiles and enthusiasm. I still remember most of the kids' names in the photos, and they are just so precious and funny. It was a real privilege to be able to serve there.

A lot of people have asked how this trip has taught me spiritually, and I think I've learned the importance of trusting God. When I see Christians in Manila living with pretty much nothing, yet living as if they have everything because they have Christ, when I see pastors suffering from cancer or working among the poorest of the poor, when I see how they trust God to provide for them physically and spiritually, it begs the question: If Christians with nothing overseas can trust God, shouldn't I be able to trust Him with what I have? It's again truly humbling to be taught by the examples of other believers, and it has shown me how important it is to trust God.

Looking back, I know that God has really used this trip to draw me closer to Him. My personal devotions have gotten so much deeper and sweeter, and I look forward each day to spending time with the Lord. Going overseas and seeing God working and the love other believers have for Him has really increased my desire to know and love Him more, and I am so grateful He used this trip to teach me and draw me closer to Himself.

There are a lot of people I would like to thank for making this trip possible, to everyone who gave generously and who lifted me up in prayer back at home. The Nichols family has also been so generous and gracious, and I am really blessed by their friendship. It was so great getting to know them better and spend time with their family. Thank you also for reading my blog; it's really encouraging to know that people have been praying for me and are interested in what God is doing overseas.

Global missions is really an exciting journey, a journey of new experiences and building relationships and trusting God. I know Manila and the Philippines will always hold a special place in my heart, and I already miss the culture and the food and just the hospitality and warmth of the people there. The past two weeks have flown by, but they've left behind dozens of memories to treasure and to remember for years to come. Thank you again for your prayers and support!

Salamat,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment